- Turbulent exchange processes at the water suface (Oceans, lakes and rivers)
- Studies on the parametrisation of gas exchange between atmosphere and oceans or lakes (climate relevant gases like CO2, Methan und Dimethylsulfid, reaeration of lakes).
- Gasexchange experiments in Wind/Wave tanks and in the field
- Insitu Measurements of gas exchange rates in the field useing active and passive thermography.
- Direct high resolution measurement of the vertical concentration profile of dissolved gases in the boundery layer using laser induced fluorescens.
- Dynamics of small scale wind waves in the laboratory and in the field
- Nonlinear dynamics and interaction: microscale wave breaking, solitary gravity-capilary waves
- Surface roughness as a key for modern remote sensing of wind velocity fields, significant wave height and gas exchange rate using radar scatterometry und radar altimetry (ESA satellites ERS1 and ERS2).
- Developement of new imaging techniques for quantitativ imaging of wind waves and measurement of statistical parameters of the wave field.
- Quantitative flow visualisation
- Measurement of the turbulence flow field near to the water surface using particle tracking
- New techniques for 2D and 3D flow measurements from image sequences: particle tracking techniques to estimate Euler and Lagrange flow fields.
- Application: Nonlineare interaction between water surface waves; dissipation of wave energy into turbulence ("micro scale wave breaking").
- Image processing and Computer Vision at the IWR/HCI
- Image sequence processing to study dynamical processes
- Multidimensional image processing